Search This Blog

Thursday 6 February 2014

A Pre-Theatre Lunch at Thai Edge

Last week, my almost sister in law, Natalie had tickets to the matinee of West Side Story, but before we revelled in all things Bernstein we had to decide on where to go for lunch.  Heading down the hill to the centre we spotted Thai Edge and Natty remarked that she had never been there and loved Thai food. I hadn't been there for a good couple of years and spotted they had a £8.95 two course set lunch menu so we headed out of the cold and into the restaurant.

Thai Edge has four restaurants currently in the UK so I would class this as a mini chain it has an independent feel with the food for sure. As we entered there were a few tables that were occupied but we were ushered to a table in the window, what I think most people will remark upon when it comes to Thai Edge is the decor. It is quite clinical, with the odd dash of purple among a sea of white, it makes the restaurant feel a little lacking in warmth and atmosphere. However we were hungry and as we were handed the lunch menu I was surprised how much choice there was on their set menu. In the end I went for the Tom Kha soup followed by Choo Chee Pla, a fried fish curry, whilst Natty picked the spring rolls and the chicken red curry.

Thai Edge Bristol

Thai Edge Bristol
Tom Kha soup
Thai Edge Bristol

We munched our way through the complimentary Thai prawn crackers with gusto and shortly afterwards our starters turned up. My bowl of Tom Kha soup was pretty large and had all the right flavours I expected, sharp yet creamy the only complaint I had was that the texture of the chicken was a little chewy and dry, Natty was very pleased with her spring rolls however which was lovely and crisp and stuffed full of filling.

Thai Edge Bristol

Thai Edge Bristol
Choo Chee Pla
I thoroughly enjoyed my main course, the portion was pretty large it had about 6 medium pieces of fried fish in it with a really moreish, lightly spiced, coconutty sauce I tried to resist polishing it all off but I failed completely.  In fact thinking about it now makes me want to eat it for dinner, it was surprisingly good. So to sum up, Thai Edge's food is mostly pretty good but it could do with a shake up in the atmosphere stakes, I shall definitely be taking up their lunch menu again as it is a total bargain.  To see what Thai Edge has to offer visit their website

No comments:

Post a Comment