Search This Blog

Monday 30 January 2012

Cookie Testing

So whilst Rich went for his first visit to Za Za Bazaar this weekend, a blog post from him to follow on that shortly, I got back into testing cookie flavours. Last Autumn I discovered the perfect cookie recipe. Having had problems every time I attempted cookies in the past I had almost given up hope of achieving that chewy quality that makes cookies so desirable. Now I have joined the smug group of people who do get a better than shop bought taste in their baking!The best part is that you can substitute the dark chocolate in this recipe for nearly anything, i've tried white chocolate and stem ginger, raisins and mixed spices and yesterday, Toblerone.

My Canadian friend adores Toblerone and cookies, so these were a perfect gift for her on a freezing Sunday evening, I got full marks *smug face* Luckily I am also very generous so here is the recipe I used it is very simple and you can have fresh cookies in 30mins.

You will need:

125g butter
150 plain flour
100g chocolate
½ tsp baking powder
1 egg
100g granulated sugar-it's the two types of sugar that give them the chewy texture
75g soft brown sugar
2 tsp of vanilla extract 
Pinch of salt

Chop the chocolate or ingredients of choice and pre heat the oven to 190 degrees with fan. Weigh out the sugar into a mixing bowl and melt the butter in a saucepan then add the melting butter to the sugar mix then give it a good beating, I like to listen to punk band, The Buzzcocks at this point for extra motivation. Crack the egg into the bowl and add the vanilla extract, salt and baking powder. Weigh the flour and then add gradually to the bowl  mixing each time as you go the mixture will go very stiff, just like the rolls of cookie dough you see teenage American's eating on tv. Add the chocolate/rasins/anything here and mix once more. Get some baking parchment on a baking tray and use teaspoons to separate out your mix into small blobs, do not press down, the oven will do the magic for you.

Finally pop them in the oven for 8-10 mins  no more or else you won't get chewy perfection you will start to see cracks forming along the cookies and the edges will go slightly brown. Let them cool, and cram them into your mouth as soon as you are unable to resist their charms. Enjoy!


 Tonight I am attempting Char Sui pork ribs, wish me luck, there will be a post if I successful.

2 comments:

  1. They were amazing...Actually they didn't make it back to my place...Couldn't resist! - The Canadian

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha thanks Miss E! I am glad that you hoovered them up fast, shows you enjoyed them much! Will make you a larger batch next time for you to chow on over a few days :D

    ReplyDelete